September 20, 2007

Gelatin print tutorial time


an assortment of work in process for an upcoming market
People frequently ask about how-to-do monotype gelatin prints and well, I always say, come to the studio and try it with me. It's addictive and spontaneous as well as a great springboard for other ideas in your artwork. I took some photos of one of my children's classes this week in action to give you the basics. There is so much more that you can do with the process and it is truly unlimited in creative expression.
First you make the unflavored gelatin. 2 Tbsp. per cup of water enough to fill out a form (at least 1/5 of an inch tall) you choose (cookie sheets are easy) Mix the gelatin over low heat gently to keep the bubbles and foam down. If you get foam, just scoop it out gently. When the mixture is clear and has heated to a rolling boil, pour it slowly into your form. Let is cool on a level surface. (Live in an older home as we do? check the surface first with a marble!) If there are bubbles or foam simply take a strip of newspaper and pass it over the surface to the edge to pick up stray foam.
Once the gelatin is set, put it in the fridge to harden further. You are ready to print!

it is shiny,slimey, and wiggly
Cut a piece of gelatin to fit your paper size.

go gently, too much ink makes blobs!
Using waterbased inks, roll a thin layer out onto the gelatin or paint it on.

this gelatin is a few weeks old, note the curling edges...
Use a variety of tools: brushes, bubblewrap, handmade lino blocks, paper stencils, corks, combs, what-have-you, to create an image on the surface of the gelatin.

Remember that it is only gelatin and can't take a beating!
Place your paper over the top of the gelatin and rub it gently with your fingertips.


palm trees in the blue by amanda
Peel it off and voila! A print is born! Want to come to a workshop? Drop me a line at susan[at]artstreamstudios[dot]com and I can sign you up!

16 comments:

Willie Baronet said...

Mmmmm, gelatin. :-)

No, not on the road again, that was from a couple of years ago.

Catalina said...

I would love to go to your workshop! looks great! just to far from me...

Thank you for the tips! Great blog and lovely work

jen j-m said...

what fun! i'll have to give this a try with my kids. thank you!

Anonymous said...

gosh, would have never thought that gelatin would be strong enough for this! i love your mono prints. one day ...

andrea said...

I have bookmarked this page plus one that Dinahmow sent me at http://www.marylandprintmakers.org/newsletter.asp?id=230 because I love the results you get and really want to try this one of these days. Trust me, if I could do a workshop at your studio I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Angela Wales Rockett said...

I'm with Andrea, I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could. I'd love to attend a workshop in your studio, but the commute from Seattle might be a bit much though. :)

Thanks! I'm inspired to play with this again.

Regina said...

Oh how I wish I lived closer. Looks like so much fun. I'll be putting that on my list!

heather smith jones said...

this looks sooo interesting; question- do you make impressions into the gelatin, then print? just trying to understand. I'm sure kids love the texture of it!

ps. I can't get emails through to you today ..?? will keep trying.

Susan Schwake said...

heather- you can imprint the gelatin but that makes the same impression every time. i like monotypes so i use the plate without marking it up so it is different everytime. the wetness of the plate makes it wonderful and the wetness makes it difficult all at the same time.
weird on the email - try flickr mail?

Leah said...

i did this at a paper source workshop and it was SO fun! reminds me i've gotta give it a try at home too!

One Crabapple said...

ohh I wish I could come to a workshop !

heyyyy , this is so great ! I am dying to try this.

Thanks so much for posting about it --- I can see a new addiction for me too !

..timetimetime....

Meanwhile, I am bookmarking this page !!!

Love, S

Anonymous said...

ohh that looks like so much fun! as long as you promise some blue fingers all messy in the process, :))

andrea said...

Hey Angela: want to carpool? :)

Camilla Engman said...

I would love to come to a workshop.
It will take a while for me to turn up, maybe I'll be late ;)

Annica said...

Thanks for a great tutorial!

carla said...

That looks like great fun, and I love the results! It's on my list!